Self care – The art of looking after the most important person – You.
For me, self care is all about looking after your own needs and taking some time out to do what makes you happy.
We’ve all had those times when you get in from a long day at work, throw your bag down, shove on your comfy clothes and settle down with a brew, breathing a sigh of relief as you realise that you can finally relax. That is self care. It’s about focusing on you, getting comfortable, enjoying a nice warm drink and allowing yourself to just…be, for a moment.
In an ever busy world, it’s incredibly difficult to find time to look after yourself, but that’s why it’s even more important that you do just that. It’s not just for those suffering with things like anxiety, though it does massively help with that!
So here are some of my top things that I do as part of my own personal self care routine:
- Pamper nights Every so often I’ll put on an Argon Oil hair mask, grab a Mud Mask and relax. It keeps my hair and skin in reasonably good condition which helps to boost my confidence levels. Run a hot bath, grab a unicorn-style bath bomb and just let go of whatever has happened that day.
- Read a book I like to just escape away and read for a while, even if it’s just for 10 minutes. It takes my mind off things and keeps my brain active.
- Have a catch up with a friend Whether that’s by exchanging a couple of texts when I’m feeling low or grabbing a glass of wine with my sister. Sometimes there’s nothing better than just putting the worlds to right or sharing something funny you’ve seen on the internet!
- Get out into nature Go for a walk. Take your camera and be amazed at the world around you, whether its a pink sky at night or the crunch of leaves on the ground.
- Get dressed up Do your hair, contour and shine. Put on the dress that makes you feel like Beyoncé. Treat yourself – so you didn’t wake up like this? Who cares. You look a million dollars so you’ll feel like it too.
- Sing and dance If I’ve feeling down on the way to work, I’ll find a good song on the radio, turn it up loud and sing like I’m part of Little Mix. No-one else can hear you, so hit those high notes, rap like Kanye and most importantly, laugh!
The photo with this article was taken last year on a family holiday to Wales. I’d just found out I was being made redundant and, despite feeling better with my anxiety, it was a crushing blow. So I filled the weekend with lovely walks with my puppy, a takeaway and face mask night with my Mama and then, when the family went out for food, a nice hot bath, a glass of wine and the radio smoothly playing. It was single handedly the most relaxed weekend of my life and now anytime I feel stressed, I pretend I’m back there.
Self care is incredibly important, because at the end of the day, nothing matters in your life as much as you do. So treat yourself to a chocolate from the box in the office, put on your favourite film and watch it in your dressing gown. Have a lazy day, snuggled up in bed with Netflix and boo.
Self care should be as much a part of your routine as skin care, exercising and retail therapy. Taking five minutes out of your day to look after you is incredibly important and can make a huge difference.
You deserve to be happy and feel good – so look after yourself like you’d look after your best friend.